Consider the following checklist of skills, activities, and services when creating your child’s high school transition plan for his/her IEP.
Identify skills and abilities that will help your son or daughter be as independent as possible, such as:
- Money Management and Budgeting
- Transportation Training
- Build friendships outside the family.
- Create a circle of support (family, friends, neighbors).
- Identify and connect with groups that share similar interests: athletic, faith-based, creative arts,
- humanitarian, civic and cultural
Employment/Post Secondary Education
- Identify interests, strengths and needs, and list the types of jobs that would be a good fit.
- Identify personal contacts useful in finding jobs.
- Research college courses and programs (integrated and/or specialized).
- Learn and practice job skills.
- Apply for employment services from DVR and DDA. (read more)
- Obtain Assistive Technology and Training.
Financial and Legal
- Apply for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) (learn more at SSA website)
- Arrange for a Representative Payee for SSI (benefits if money management is a concern)
- Benefits Planning (including Social Security Work Incentives, such as PASS and IRWE
- Establish a Special Needs Trust
- Seek guardianship (if less restrictive alternatives are not appropriate)
Health and Safety
Identify needed skills and/or resources to be healthy and safe:
- Emergency Recognition and Response
- Personal Care/Hygiene
- Physical/Occupational Therapy