The Fastest Way to Verify Social Security and Supplemental Security Income Benefits
Create a my Social Security account to access your Social Security Statement to check your earnings and get your benefit estimates.
If you receive benefits, you can also:
- get your benefit verification letter;
- change your address and phone number*;
- start or change your direct deposit;
- request a replacement Medicare card;
- Check the status of your application or appeal, and
- get a replacement SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S for tax season.
*Making a change to your status (such as moving) through My Social Security is not a substitute to fulfilling SSI reporting responsibilities. Please report these changes to SSA. For information on reporting changes, visit or write any Social Security office or call the toll–free number at 1–800–772–1213.
Even if you do not currently receive benefits, you can get a benefit verification letter stating that you:
- never received Social Security benefits, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Medicare; or
- received benefits in the past, but do not currently receive them (The letter will include the date your benefits stopped and how much you received that year.); or
- applied for benefits but haven’t received an answer yet.
There is no fee to create a my Social Security account, but you must have an email address.
It takes about 5-10 minutes to set up an online account at My Social Security, a secure site administered by the Social Security Administration. You will be asked for personal identifying information.