For Children Raised by Grandparents and Other Relatives
This 15th annual contest is for children in Washington State who are being raised now or in the past by a relative other than their parents.
How to Enter
- Write a poem or short essay, or draw a picture that describes how living with a relative (such as a grandparent, aunt, or uncle) has made a positive difference in your life.
- Mail entries to: Voices of Children Contest, 1202 Black Lake Blvd. #B, Olympia, WA, 98502.
- All entries must be submitted or postmarked by April 1, 2018.
- All participating children must live in Washington State and be 5-19 years old.
- Entries will be judged in three age categories: ages 5-7, ages 8-12, and ages 13-19.
- Poems should be 21 lines or less.
- Essays should be 200 words or less.
- Make your art as big and bold as possible and add a statement that explains your drawing.
- Artwork must be submitted on the enclosed entry form.
- Do not include any names within artwork.
- Artwork must be flat and within the box on the entry form.
- Entry must be original, in English, and unpublished.
- Winners will be notified in early May and all decisions of the judges are final.
- Award ceremony for winners will be held at the Governor’s Mansion in Olympia.
- We reserve the right of first publication and use of writings and drawings.
- All entries may be published in a 2018 book called Voices of Children-Raised by Grandparents and Other Relatives.
The six winning entries will receive a $100 from Twin Star Credit Union and a free night at Great Wolf Lodge, Grand Mound, WA for a family of four. Entry postmark deadline is April 1, 2018. Please help spread the word!
Please email or call Family Education and Support Services toll-free at 360-754-7629 or toll-free at 1-877-813-2828.