Community Guide and Community Engagement Services
WHAT is it?
Community Guide and Community Engagement Services are flexible, individually designed services to help individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities connect to their local community and reach goals that they set for themselves.
A person can have more than one goal, or change goals as they discover more about themselves, meet new people and connect with their community. The goals are typically short-term, lasting 3 months to a year; however, service hours can be renewed at the person’s annual service planning meeting.
Services are provided by an individual or agency who is contracted with the Developmental Disabilities Administration (DDA). A provider may not be a parent of the participant or an employee of Aging and Long Term Care Services Administration or DDA.
For a listing of providers by county, visit our locator map.
Individuals have used Community Guide and Engagement services to:
- pursue creative and educational goals
- access free and low cost resources
- get connected to community
classes (e.g., cooking, pottery, dance, sign language, exercise, yoga)
- locate housing and/or roommates
- learn how to manage finances
- explore assistive technologies to increase communication, independence and connection to others
- connect with people in the community who share similar interests (such as art, music, games, sports)
- create an emergency preparedness plan that maximizes connections to neighbors and others in the community
WHO is it for?
Community Guide services are for individuals enrolled in DDA’s Basic Plus and Core waivers. Community Engagement services are for individuals enrolled in DDA’s Individual and Family Services (IFS) waiver. The services have different names, depending on the waiver, but they are similar in their flexibility and intent, which is to help people connect to their communities in meaningful ways.
HOW do I request it?
If you are currently enrolled in DDA’s Basic Plus, Core or IFS waiver, contact your DDA case manager to request services. Community Guide and Engagement services can be accessed
at the time of your annual assessment or anytime throughout your plan year.