Specialized Habilitation Providers

Family embracing and singing together.

Becoming A Specialized Habilitation Provider

The Developmental Disabilities Administration (DDA) is offering a new service called Specialized Habilitation. It’s available under the IFS, Basic Plus, CIIBS and Core waivers for anyone who is not receiving residential habilitation services.

What is Specialized Habilitation?

Specialized Habilitation helps people learn or maintain a range of life skills in any of the following categories:

  • Self Empowerment
  • Safety Awareness and Self Advocacy
  • Interpersonal Effectiveness and Effective Social Communication
  • Coping Strategies for Everyday Life Challenges
  • Managing Daily Tasks and Learning New Skills

Specialized Habilitation supports can help individuals enhance their well-being, create healthy relationships, navigate challenges, and improve their overall quality of life.

Unlike behavioral health services, no diagnosis is required; service plans are focused on specific goals the person wants to work on.

Provider requirements (one of the following)

  • A Bachelor’s, Master’s or Doctoral degree in:
    Social Work
    Child Development
    Other closely Related Field
  • A Certified Life Skills Coach
  • An intern currently enrolled and supervised by an accredited higher education institution

How to Become a Specialized Habilitation Provider

If you are new to contracting with DDA, contact a regional DDA resource developer.

If you are currently working under a different kind of contract, and would like to know more about Specialized Habilitation, talk to the Case Resource Manager (CRM) you are working with. Or, contact your regional resource developer to discuss requirements and assist with contracting.


Becoming a Specialized Habilitation Provider (PDF)

Thumbnail image of Specialized Habilitation bulletin.


  • Translate