Ages 14-21: Education & Transition Planning

Regardless of disability, there are opportunities and expectations for your child to work and participate fully in your community. Your own advocacy, as well as your child’s self-advocacy, will be essential to maximizing and developing these and other resources.

Like any successful journey, planning is everything. Under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, your child is entitled to receive special education services until age 21. The advantages of taking this path of staying in school include additional training to be job ready and three additional years of education and support. If your son or daughter leaves school at age 18, he or she is not eligible for any potential long term job support until age 21.

Transition planning should begin as early as possible, but at least by age 16. At this time, parents should be asking to have employment goals integrated into your child’s individual educational program. This would be a good time to become actively involved with your student’s IEP transition plan. You may want to contact your county DD office about resources available to connect you to your community now and in the future. Look in the blue pages of your phone book under County Government.

Think of this time as a train to catch rather than a stop along the road. There’s a lot of territory to cover, so be ready to roll. Don’t stand on the tracks waiting for the next ride. When special education services end, many parents feel as though they’ve been run over by a train they didn’t see coming.

It’s a sobering reality, for sure, but there are definite steps to take, resources available, and opportunities for you and your child to hone your advocacy skills.

As your child’s transition plan is developed, be sure that he or she is an integral part of the process. Learning how to speak up, plan and take risks will help your child become more independent and successful after high school.

Identifying career interests and skills is the focus of your child’s transition years, as well as learning independent living skills, such as shopping, cooking, budgeting and using the bus system. Make the most of staff and educators during this time.

Additional services will be available to your child when he or she turns 18, but they are not easy to track down. You should be contacted prior to your child’s 18th birthday to review his or her eligibility. The good news is that, as an adult, eligibility will be based on their income, not yours.


  • E-News

    Enter your email in the field below, let us know you're not a robot, and click the SIGN UP button.

    By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: Informing Families, 2600 Martin Way, Suite F , Olympia, WA, 98501, You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact

  • Translate