Hearing aids covered for clients age 21 and older beginning January 1, 2019
The Washington State Legislature passed ESSB 5179 that requires Apple Health (Medicaid) to cover hearing instruments (hearing aids) when medically necessary.
What does this mean?
Under the legislation, clients 21 and older who meet specific hearing loss criteria may be eligible for the following:
- One hearing aid every five years.
- A second hearing aid when specific criteria are met.
- Repair and replacement of hearing aids.
- Hearing aid related services and supplies.
- Repairs to external components of cochlear implants and bone-anchored hearing aid (BAHA) devices.
Where do I find more information on this benefit?
Hearing providers interested in providing health care services to Apple Health clients can visit the Health Care Authority (HCA) website for more information.
HCA is currently updating the rules for Hearing Aid coverage in Chapter 182-547 and will publish an updated Hearing Aids Billing Guide, effective January 1, 2019.
I’m interested! How do I sign up for notifications as a hearing provider?
Please visit the HCA website for more information on:
- Signing up for notifications in GovDelivery
- Signing up as a hearing provider in ProviderOne