November is National Family Caregiver Month
DSHS’ Developmental Disability Administration recognizes that family caregiving is an essential part of our long-term services and supports system.
That is why DDA recognizes November as National Family Caregiver Month.
The Caregiver Action Network established the month-long focus to celebrate those who care for others. The network provides awareness surrounding caregiving issues, educates communities, and increases caregiver support.
If you have been the primary caregiver for a child, elder, or someone with developmental and/or intellectual disabilities, you know why NFCM is important.
Did you know?
- Washington state is home to nearly 850,000 unpaid family members caring for aging family members or individuals with disabilities.
- Thousands of paid family caregivers are contracted to provide support to their loved ones.
- Qualified, compassionate and loving caregivers are the chief resource necessary to ensure people with developmental disabilities remain safe, healthy and are a part of their community.
DDA routinely publishes care-provider bulletins with helpful information on topics related to client health and welfare. To view DDA care-giver bulletins visit Care Provider Bulletins & Information.
Home and Community Services publishes a quarterly magazine, ‘HCS Highlights fall 2020‘, with tips for caregivers during COVID-19.
DDA thanks you all for your continued commitment towards the health, welfare and quality-of-life for people with developmental disabilities living in Washington state.
Pathways to Respite, a free publication by Informing Families, offers information and resources for those who support:
- an older adult
- child or adult with a developmental disability or other disability
- adult with traumatic brain injury
Developed by Informing Families, a resource of the Washington State Developmental Disabilities Council, in partnership with the Washington State Developmental Disabilities Administration, Aging & Long-Term Support Administration, and PAVE, which administers Lifespan Respite WA.
Also available in the following format: