Q&A: IP Contracting with DDA

For Step by Step Outline of Becoming an Individual Provider through DDA, click here.

Contracting with DDA to be an
Individual Provider (IP)Q and A

I was fingerprinted because I work at the school. Can I use those fingerprint results?  

NO. A current DSHS/DDA check is required.

Can I just run down to the State Patrol and get printed before I send in my application?

NO. You must use the DSHS contracted provider whose information will be sent to you after we have received your intake paperwork.

How long does it take to get fingerprint results?

Generally, from two days to two weeks.

Is there anything I need to do while DDA waits for the fingerprint results?

NO. Unless contracts staff has requested more information from you, all you need to do at this point is wait.

Can I use my mom as a reference?

NO – if references are required of you, they must come from professional contacts, i.e. supervisors, co-workers, employers, etc.

Can I do any of the trainings ahead of time so I can be ready to go when my contract is ready?

NO. Your contract must be signed by you and by DSHS before you can begin S & O, and you must be authorized to work by the case manager before you can sign up for the required basic training.

Where do I go for trainings?

Trainings are provided by the SEIU through the Training Partnership. The trainings take place throughout the state and different times of the year. Connect with the SEIU Member Resource Center after you have been contracted and are working to determine the training requirement and date/location.

Can the Basic Training be taken online?

NO. These trainings are presented in a classroom format.

I was contracted before. Do I still need to do the trainings?

Maybe/Maybe not — Each case will be evaluated individually to determine if you are exempt.

What could make me exempt from training?

  • If you are a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA)
  • If you are a Nurse
  • If you are a certified Home Care Aide (HCA)
  • If you hold a current Special Education Endorsement
  • If your previous training met the requirements – Evaluated on a case-by-case basis

Do I get paid for the trainings?

YES, as long as they are completed before the deadlines.

How do I find out who the client’s case manager is?

The client has that information.

I can’t find my Social Security Card. Can I just give you a copy of my Passport that has the SSN on it?

NO. While the passport can be used as valid ID, a copy of the actual SS card is required to verify employment. We can start the process, though, with a copy of the letter the Social Security Administration will give you when you order a new card.

My name has changed. Do I need to change my name on my Social Security Card?

YES. Your legal name must be on both the Social Security card and ID. They must match.

Can I use my out-of-state license as ID?

NO. Unless you are a resident of the state the license is from, this would not be considered a valid form of ID. If you have been a resident of Washington State for longer than 30 days, you are required to get a Washington State Driver’s License. Other examples of ID are passport and military ID.

Do I absolutely need to come in to sign my contract—can’t you just mail it to me?

You are required to come in person so that we can verify ID.

How do I know how many hours I can work?

The client is eligible for a certain number of hours and it is up to that client to determine who provides those hours, however, there is a work week limit of 40 hours per week for all new IPs.

If I’m already contracted through the Home Care Referral Registry (HCRR), can I start working for a DDA client today?

NO. DDA contracts staff must verify that all contract, background, and training requirements have been met.


  • Translate